Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sounding a Mosaic




I'm sure this goes without saying, but I'm not a Dolce & Gabbana kind of girl. I wouldn't even be able to point out a D & G piece if I was surrounded by them. But after seeing a photo from the A/W 13 runway show, I decided to make it a first and actually willingly flip through all the photos. And I downloaded a lot of them. Since taking an Italian Renaissance art history course a lifetime ago, I've had an unexplainable interest in religious iconography. And, when that interest gets mixed with my love of mosaics (the collection uses Byzantine and Venetian mosaics from the Cathedral of Monreale in Sicily), I call that pure gold. So the point here isn't to add a new label to the list of those normally featured here, or to moon over a piece I could never afford, or even to want to bother figuring how much it costs or who could pull off such a piece. This stuff is art to me, and I'm more than happy to just look at it. Just look at the details of my favorite piece:


Lovely, no? And, not that I want to encourage knock-offs, but I'd like to see more designers who are into the whole digital print thing use mosaics and other pieces of art from churches in their designs. I know I'm definitely kicking myself for only buying one scarf with a print of the 3rd century AD Roman mosaic from Lod, Israel when it was at the Met two years ago. If I had one more, I could've made a fantastic top.

(Photos via Style.com)


Related Posts