Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Coat of arms


I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm a jacket/coat* person. I used to have one winter coat, and a bunch of hoodies that I classified as either spring/fall/summer 'jackets'. Now, I have a literal pile of coats by the front door (oh, I'm looking forward to a proper entryway closet!), and I've been known to change my coat multiple times before I go out the door. Granted, all of them are fall/winter coats (which makes sense, since that's 80% of our year), but I pretty much have one or two for every 10 degree range between -40 up to +10. The queen of the coats in the -10 to 0 range is, of course, my Artisanal Coat from Patricia Ayres. I thought her right to the throne had the potential of being challenged when I got my very first women's McQueen piece (a black wool/cashmere coat), as I've rated it to the same temperature range. However, the perfume ghost of its former owner has meant that it has sat in my man's office unworn for two months now. Also, I think it being a McQueen affords it the status of 'Special Occasion (-10 to 0)', so in that way the two coats can both rule their respective and neighbouring kingdoms without one having to abdicate. However, if I got a hold of this A/W 13 piece by Marie Saint Pierre, I'm afraid civil war would ensue. It's perhaps the most perfect cold weather coat I've seen since that Gareth Pugh creation. Now, it's sacrilegious to even suggest that it could rule over the McQueen, but for both personal and pragmatic reasons, I'm not sure I could say it fits in the 'Everyday (-10 to 0)' category alongside the Artisanal Coat. Can one really have three categories for one temperature range? I'm afraid I would simply have to bend any rule that suggests otherwise, because that's really the only way I could keep the peace around here.

(Photo via Facebook)

*The words are interchangeable for me, really. If anyone can give me a good working definition to keep the two separate, I'm all ears.


Related Posts