Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to School


I can't help but think I'm not supposed to be here today. A year ago, at the beginning of NYFW, I was in New York for the very first time, building the foundations for what would be my most expensive addiction yet. As I later returned around the time of NYFW in February, it seems weird to now be reading about other people getting ready for NYFW and getting fashion show invites in my inbox when I'm stuck here, without any future itineraries planned. Sigh. Not only that, but today is the first day of university. And, when I live in my city's university area and have to walk by one too many frat houses to get to work, it's hard to escape the sudden influx of 18-year-olds and American Eagle graphic tees. If I could, I would go to school for the rest of my life (and by wearing pigtails, I'd make quite a passable, albeit rather mature, 20-year-old). And yet, here I am, for the fifth September in a row, not needing to calculate the shortest distance between classes, or pinpoint the least busy washrooms, or stand in line for an hour to get the one textbook that Amazon doesn't have in stock. Again, sigh. I'll keep my fingers crossed for next September. School or NY.




Anyway, if I could do my first day of university all over again, this is what my outfit would be: 


In reality, I wore non-memorable blue jeans, two long sleeved tees, and a black puffy vest. I don't even want to try to remember what kind of shoes I wore. I was still blond at that time (and 11 years younger), so I'm just going to pretend that was a different person. I mean, I didn't even drink real coffee back then. Not to mention being unable to understand the Joy Division and Pixies references in the Gilmore Girls. Eek.


Related Posts